Walter Henry Foreman was born in the County of Surry, England in 1865, arriving in the United States in 1884. He settled in Denver with his mother and gained employment with photographer George Stephan in 1886. The following year Foreman opened his own studio on Larimer Street in Denver. He exhibited photographs alongside William Henry Jackson at the 1886 Colorado Manufacturers Exposition in Denver.
Remaining true to his British roots, Foreman helped organize Denver’s first Cricket Club. Later, his studio served as headquarters for the Swift’s foot ball club. Foreman was also active in British social groups, attending picnics and competing in foot races. In 1887, he won first place in a 100 yard scratch race, beating his opponent by eight yards and taking home a black marble clock.
Around 1896, Foreman began working for the Black Sisters in Boulder, Colorado. He purchased their studio in 1898 and added a department that specialized in enlargements. He left Boulder and ran studios in Loveland and Brush, Colorado before returning to Denver in 1911.
In 1913, a long-time Denver business, Turner Moving & Storage, held a contest to design a new sign. Foreman won the contest, which drew hundreds of entries. His illuminated design used 1,800 bulbs, showing a globe with North and South America outlined in green lights. For his efforts, Foreman won $50 in gold.
After a successful career as a photographer, Foreman’s last place of employment was Elitch Gardens, an amusement park in Denver. Walter H. Foreman died at his home in Denver on August 1, 1928 at the age of 62, leaving a widow. His remains rest in Denver’s Fairmount Cemetery.
The Peter E. Palmquist Memorial Fund for Historical Photographic Research provided funds for the scan from the City of Greeley Museum. Miranda Todd, Archives Assistant,City of Greeley Museums scanned the image and provided research assistance.